Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Way back in 2018

My Christmas letter. I was thinking I should keep it out somewhere, and this seems like a good place. I wish I had sent it to more people. Maybe some of them will find this, and I can read it again, too, someday.

Dodd News for 2018

Last year's Christmas letter came from a future grandmother. This one comes from the grandmother of three.

Ivan Odysseus Dodd was born just a few days after Christmas, on December 28, 2017. He is a robust, big, brave guy. July 3, the tiny miss Kirby Athena Denise Dodd arrived. She's becoming more comfortable in the world, with her long hair (long for a baby) and big eyes.

Not so long after that, Devyn became an official, legal Dodd when her adoption by Kirby became official. I got to be in the courtroom that day, sitting in the gallery with the baby.

Keith and I (kind of suddenly the grandparents of three, THREE!) each had a bump. I had pneumonia for two months in Spring, for no good reason, and thought I would die. I didn't. Keith had shoulder surgery in fall, and is nearly recovered because he is a self-rehabilitating marvel. He is nearly always subtly exercising and stretching one way or another, getting a little more strength and flexibility.

Keith swims most mornings, and I write every day. He still goes to SCA activities, and I still don't. Lately he's doing instrumental music, mostly recorder, with a few others.

Unlike many of the past ten years, all of us were in Albuquerque this year. We never know when that could end, but this year, we have proximity, and a full set.

Kirby is doing computer tech mostly in person now, rather than phone and e-mail, so he's meeting people and seeing lots of places in town he hadn't been in before, working for Ardham Technologies. He took his family to Texas for a long Thanksgiving week, so friends and relatives in Austin, Sulphur Springs and Dallas could meet the baby, and Devyn could see her cousins, aunts and grandma.

Marty got a BA in Economics from UNM in May. His minor was geography. He was already working for the Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority (not a very snappy name). They like him and want to keep him, but he looks around.

Holly earned certification as a yoga instructor, and that became the fourth of the ongoing part-time jobs she has worked this year, in a prismatic sort of schedule. They vary, and all have newness and things to learn. She likes house-sitting and is good with plants and pets. Keep her in mind!

There are photos of everyone named here, and of Destiny and Ashlee, too,
at sandradodd.com/2018.

I hope your Christmas is either fun or that the Christmas you're ignoring passes peacefully, and that 2019 will be a good-memory-making time for you!


2905 Tahiti Ct. NE
Albuquerque NM 87112


And if anyone sends Christmas cards and you have an extra, I love them. Please send one to me at that address. Or a post card if your in an exotic place and need someone to send a card to!

At my house, on Christmas 2018 (these photos aren't at the link above—those were all pre-December):

Devyn, Holly, little Kirby


Original Kirby and the baby-girl Kirby, Keith, Marty, Ivan


Here's a wider shot, with the mothers of those babies:







No comments: