Saturday, September 24, 2005

It's fall!

Leaves are actually falling, as though calendars mattered to my yard. There will be hundreds of moonflowers. I'm kinda stunned. There have been thousands of morning glories and that didn't surprise me. They're in eight different places, and a couple of those places pretty extensive.

We have ten days before we leave for the Live and Learn Conference. I've been doing pretty well this time about being ready early, but by "ready" I mean keeping my last-minute list to a manageable level.

For me, it's easier than for Keith who has to take time off during a pressing project at work. Kirby and Marty have arranged to take off too. That's a lot of people's days off. And we're having two housesitters to share the load here, and they might subcontract to other friends in that group. Sometimes I wish for the ease of just locking up a one-bedroom pet-free apartment and getting a ride to the airport, rather than all the whole-family, four-pet, yard-watering planning. Six pets--forgot the rats for a moment. But in the "at least..." department, at least we're not on the Gulf coast and we don't have milk goats.

The conference details are here, and I'm speaking or leading games or music seven times. Nothing really difficult, just a lot of it.

http://www.liveandlearnconference.org/


Next year it will probably be in Albuquerque! Much less prep if so!

1 comment:

Sandra Dodd said...

There weren't hundreds, after all. A couple of dozen. LOTS of the flowers were in "ready-to-go" mode, their color showing, unopened, but I'm figuring it was too cold at night for them to open.

I got four seeds.

I got more, but they had bug-bites and weren't intact. Aphids LOVED those vines. An exterminator told me poison would be a bad idea if I want seeds, because the aphids attract what will germinate the plants. I'll just have to spray with water to get some of the aphids off.

In 2006 I hope to start the plants early enough to get lots of OPEN blooms, and maybe seeds. I do think I'm seeing why they're not common in New Mexico, though--cold nights.