Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day 1970



That is a scan of the armband I still have from the Earth Day in 1970.

I wrote about it a few years ago in a blog post called Ten things I've Done You Probably Haven't, and that's probably when I made that image. I love scanners.

I mentioned attending a rally on the first Earth Day to Holly this morning and she jokingly said, "Well where is it? You don't seem very proud of it."

Proud of being that much of a packrat!?

When I went to look for it, I found this mention from last year at Good News Network, in the intro to this article: 40 Victories Since the First Earth Day: 40th Anniversary Timeline
As a senior at Snohomish High School in Washington, Cheryl Pearson organized a highway cleanup on that first Earth Day Day. Sandra Dodd of Albuquerque persuaded the principal of her high school to allow her to skip school that day to join a celebration 25 miles away on the Santa Fe Plaza. "There were speeches, there was singing. I still have the green arm band they gave me."
Well, cool! Only I wasn't in Albuquerque then. I was at EspaƱola High School, north of Santa Fe. And I cannot remember who else went. I think it was Jon Tsosie driving that white truck he drove for a while maybe. Not sure anymore. I think there were three of us who went. I remember sitting on a curb on the plaza listening to speeches and seeing the people walking all directions, because it wasn't perfectly organized. I remember the 3H0/Sikhs serving free bowls of black beans.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

What a great memory and beautiful green armband. (nice scan!)
It sounds like you haven't changed much. :)

Sandra Dodd said...

Thanks. That color of green was very common in the late 60's and early 70's. I had a long-sleeved mini-dress in that color, that I had made. Square necked, high-waisted. Same color someone had bought scads of and cut up for armbands that day on the Plaza.