Sunday, February 15, 2015

Chicken and Walnuts in Pita

There's one recipe I make a couple of times a year, and my cookbook is wearing out, and Destiny wants the recipe, so I'm putting it where I can find it again myself.
3 to 4 Tbsp milk
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp grated onion
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp thyme
alfalfa sprouts
Add milk to cream cheese; mix until creamy.

Add remaining ingredients except sprouts.

Cut pita bread into halves or quarters; add filling.
Top generously with the alfalfa sprouts.

May be made the night before.

I don't like green peppers so I leave them out, and use green onions instead.
Usually I put the walnuts in the food processor and leave them rough, but not big pieces.
I boil the chicken before, and work with it cold. (Usually chicken tenders from Costco.)

NOTE ADDED in February 2016: Though it's not necessary, the last few times I've made it, I have put the cold chicken in a food processor with the walnuts—and chop it to small bits. So when it's in with the cream cheese, it's more like a chicken spread than like chicken salad. Depending how people feel about the textures, plain chopping would be good, or food-processor.

The title is in print, but a newer edition and I don't know if this recipe is still there.

No comments: