Friday, February 08, 2008

When we had one child



This baby-Kirby survived to manhood, never went to school, called me today about a job he's happy with in another state, and told me he loved me. Keith and I survived to be around to help him if he needs us, but he's strong and independent.

Keith had cut his waist-length hair to get a job when I got pregnant, and I cut mine even shorter, in solidarity (gratitude), so that's a year and a half's worth of hair on us, I guess. Our hair got long again, but it's greying and thinner.

The photo is imperfect. It was taken at a restaurant, by Keith's mom, and lives in a photo album with disintegrating black paper pages, but I'm glad she let me scan some things from there, because this was one of many photos I hadn't seen. It's speckly, but I remember. I still have that onesie, in a box of Kirby souvenirs.

Those who know us as Holly's family or Marty's family might enjoy a peek at the old days. I'm grateful for then and for today and for an unexpected and welcome image.

2 comments:

Deanne said...

What a sweet family photo. Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Such a beautiful shot. You all look so sweet!