Thursday, September 03, 2009

Memories, green chile, Puerto Rico

This is a montage of the moment. I've never been to Puerto Rico, but unschooling is alive and well there. I lifted this image from Aprendiendo Naturalmente, on Facebook.


If anyone knows who created the image, I'd be glad to add the credit here. [Someone noted below that it was on an Old Navy shirt. If the artist's name comes through, I'll credit that.]

When I was a kid, desks like that were modern. And any plastic back with bolts to a frame would catch long hair in the bolts sometimes, because the plastic was flexible. Up to Jr. High I was in a really old building some of the time, and some of the desks were from ink-pot days. They were wooden, and tore up nylons. The boys fared better, wearing jeans and having short hair, in those desks. The year after I graduated from high school our district started letting girls wear pants to school.

There is another group on Facebook, also started by one of the Puerto Rican moms: Sandra Dodd fans. They didn't tell me about it until it already had a fair number of members.

Joannette Aponte YunquƩ translated the Certificate of Empowerment into Spanish. You can get to that (two formats) and the English original here: Certificate of Empowerment.

For Cathyn and Mark, I have a video. I know this leaves out the best part of all, but Holly and I stood there and smelled it for you as well as we possibly could.

4 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

That desk was even more of a torture device for me, since I'm left handed.

I didn't know the Puerto Ricans had such an active unschooling community. I'm half Puerto Rican, with many relatives on the island. I think I'm the only one in my family that homeschools.

BTW, Thanks for linking to my carnival!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Sylvia said...

green chile roasting -- that smell is the first sign of fall in New Mexico. just heavenly. too bad there's not some way to scratch & sniff it on a blog.

Katy said...

Love the smell of fresh roasting green chile! I got some earlier in the season, going to Hatch tomorrow for the chile festival and to stock up for the year. Yum, glad the flu came before chile festival weekend!

Noodle said...

That image is from an Old Navy t-shirt. I bought one for my son. :)