Sunday, December 12, 2010

Too many books

This morning I got up at 4:30 (just did; wasn't sleepy) and processed some books--out of the boxes, inserts, tissue paper wrap, cardboard on both sides...  And I moved more of the books into my office.

I took the computer back to the bedroom to watch CBS Sunday morning.  I took a shower.  I wrote and played games.   After a while I came into my office to find this sad sight:


Holly came to sympathize and help me with the initial cleanup, wiping the shelf and putting it back up. A couple of books were damaged.  Only one thing actually broke:


Luckily, I already had a picture of it here.



It was already cracked and unplayable even then, but I thought it was kinda cute, and I love the song.

Anyway... the shelf fell because I put too many books on it, some of them gradually over a couple of years, and lots just this morning, before I went to the back to watch TV with Keith.

THE GOOD THING is that I had the laptop with me in the bedroom, so the shelf (that long black thing) did not fall on the computer.

There were other shelves in the room—solid shelves, built by Keith, fastened to the wall.  The books are there now.  I remained calm, and that's good.  And I feel stupid, which is perfectly reasonable under the circumstances.   A board on metal brackets isn't a magical surface as strong as the floor.  Probably everyone reading this knows that, but somehow for a while I seemed to have forgotten it.  I guess it was a good day for it.  The timing didn't require any flipping out (nor would it have helped anyway).

2 comments:

Shan Jeniah Burton said...

~~A board on metal brackets isn't a magical surface as strong as the floor. Probably everyone reading this knows that, but somehow for a while I seemed to have forgotten it.~~

While you are here, I will show you mine - which, I am embarrassed to say, fell three times before I gave up believing in their magical powers...

Sorry about the album. I love that song, too.

Rana said...

It was 4:30 in the morning. Everything is magical at that hour.

Sorry about the album at least you enjoyed it while you had it.