Monday, July 25, 2011

Birthday report

I'm fifty-eight years old, as of yesterday. The "party" unfolded thusly:

Just before midnight Saturday, Holly and her boyfriend Will picked me up at the airport and took me to the Waffle House on Yale, where we sat and talked for a fairly long time and then took me home. I looked at e-mail enough to know there was an overwhelming amount of Birthday stuff, and so I went to sleep, 2:00 a.m., and slept until 8:30.

That's a photo of Will and Holly taken by Will's brother, Doug, when there was a forest fire in the Gila that was smoking up Albuquerque. Will has shorter hair now.

8:30 a.m., I turned on CBS Sunday morning, a favorite show I haven't seen since May, to watch what I thought was the last half hour of it. Happy Birthday to me! They've changed the broadcast time so now it starts at 8:00 and ends at 9:30! I got to watch it an hour's worth.

Got up and came to read birthday greetings. There were some very, very touching wonderful sweet things, and some plain ones from people I really liked seeing in my box, and both were wonderful. Keith brought me two actual-paper-in-the-mail cards I had received. Holly got up, and Will. She hadn't taken him home. So in discussing what was up for the day, I said nothing for me; just be. (Daniel Wooten, nice guy but not always a great speller, created the greatest phrase. He wrote "Happy be day." And now I want that to be IT, what birthdays are. I'm 48 and I still am being.)

I said to Holly that we maybe go and see Justin Timberlake pretend to have sex with the chick from "That 70's Show," and she seemed interested, so turns out Will was willing to go to the movies with us, too. "Check the High Ridge," Holly said. The High Ridge is close, and tends to have little old ladies at many of the showings. It's less expensive and less fancy than some other theatres. It has eight screens, but not the giant, theatre, new-carpet 24 screen extravaganza that young adults in Albuquerque usually opt for. We joked about that, but I was already looking, and the next showing was in eight minutes. They were willing to grab and go, and we made it, WITH popcorn and a soda to share, before the previews were done.

It was fun. I really liked it. And it was peaceful, and calming, and I really liked that. We took Will home on the way, came back, Holly said she was going to sleep, I read birthday greetings until I fell asleep, and that was most of my birthday. I woke up at 7:00 p.m., ate two hotdogs, and read e-mail and facebook until I FINALLY caught up, just before midnight. Posted to Just Add Light and Stir, and went to real bed.

There was more I didn't know about.

This morning when I was straightening up around the bed, I picked up the jeans I did NOT wear yesterday, to put them up somewhere, and they were oddly heavy. My phone was in the pocket. That means that my WHOLE BIRTHDAY (after 2:00 a.m.) I was without my phone, and didn't even notice. :-) Two months in the UK without the phone got me out of the habit. And there was a sweet message from Kirby in there. I get to see him Wednesday night.

And that was my birthday, and it was a good one, even though maybe the quietest one ever. Marty was at Rebecca Tynker's birthday. She's had the same birthday I have for her entire life. She might be half my age about now, but when I first knew we shared a birthday, I think she was six or so. :-)

All photos are lifted from other sites. I didn't take any pictures yesterday. The good photos I found of Rebecca were rudely copyrighted and blocked, but she's pretty and you would have enjoyed seeing a photo of her. Sorry.

1 comment:

Cap'n Franko said...

Happy birthday, youngster!