Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Kirby's gone to Austin now

Some of this I sent to the Always Learning list already, but there's more.

Kirby, my firstborn, has packed up and driven away. I'm almost completely calm. I have some confused butterflies in my stomach, but the departure was peaceful and sweet.

I credit that to cell phones and e-mail. Tomorrow the cable guy comes to hook them up for internet and cable TV. Kirby hasn't ever had cable, and told the roommate he didn't really think they needed it, but hey... Not many cities have a mile-high mountain right outside with TV transmitters on it. And if cable is the way to get internet, rather than by land-line phone as we have it here, then he's getting cable!

Because I could call Kirby right now, and because he can call me if he has so much as a flat tire, I don't need to have the fear.

It's not so long ago that I would've had to wait for phone installation and long distance, or for a paper letter.

+++++++++++++
So I credited my calm to technology, but part of it is also that the parting is peaceful and sweet. We helped him pack. His friends came over here to say goodbye, eight or so of them, and they were all nice to me and asked if I was okay. I am.

We're saving his room for him for a year. If he wants to move back, he can move right back in, and that makes his own risk and potential fears smaller.

He already has an apartment. He has a job that begins on Monday. They took an 8x10 U-Haul with tables and two beds and lamps and such. He has a broom, flyswatter, toilet paper, paper towels... They have dishes and pans.

They have cell phones and the internet. They live a very short walk from where they'll work, and quite near a WalMart too (with groceries). They will be okay. His roommate's name is Eric. I met him last night. Big football player guy. Gamer guy, too.

Another change is coming today too. Keith called to arrange to give my Dodge Caravan to charity. We got it used nine years or so ago. It's a 1994. We've already had the transmission(s) done twice and it started to go out, and the computer that knows what the dashboard knows is coming and going. So I've taken the license plates off (artsy front plate and real back plate; New Mexico switched their system a few years back, so plates stay with owners). The keys and title are by the front door. When it's gone I'll clean up the puddle of transmission fluid.

Two changes. Not big awful ones. He's not in Iraq.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I enjoy reading about the transition and how smoothly it's going. I appreciate you being out there I love your website and use it often.

Glenda said...

It's nice not having to wait for a paper letter. I'm glad you all will be able to communicate regularly and as often as you want. And I'm glad the departure was peaceful and sweet.

My stepson is on his first deployment, in Kuwait. He emailed us a few days after they got there, to let us know they'd made it, and he's already called us once (yay for calling cards). I had commented to hubby about how nice it is for both the servicemen and their families and friends to be able to have that nearly-immediate contact -- it definitely helps to calm butterflies on both ends of the line.

What a great thing to do with your Caravan.

Happy Campers said...

I always love reading your posts. Our oldest just moved to San Marcos for college (about 30 min away from Austin) last week. And it is bitter sweet, isn't it?

I couldn't put my finger on the "calm", but you pegged it just right. It's the internet. Knowing I can email him to my heart's content, and not bother him but know he'll see my emails & reply when he can.

Now life takes on a new meaning of "normal", huh?

Anonymous said...

I feel fortunate to have had a "trial run" of the first time one of my kids didn't live at home. Chris is back from his summer internship in Santa Maria CA; he'll start interviewing for after-graduation positions in January.

Text messaging on cell phones and email over the internet are indeed wonderful things.

Madeline Rains said...

Wow. You are good at keeping perspective. I am afraid that I would be a puddle to be cleaned up with the transmission fluid; my oldest is ten so I have a long way to go. I love reading about your experiences with older kids.

We had a used Dodge Caravan for too long. We also gave it away. That was an easy goodbye.

Jennifer said...

My oldest is six and this still made me a little sad; I just start imagining him not in my everyday physically. You seem so calm. I guess things change with time -- you learn to flow better maybe? It's nice to hear stories about kids later in life. So much of now is filled with young stories (in my world anyhow). It's always a good break to come visit your blog. And I LOVE the Holly dress picture. She's way too adorable (and talented with the photo stuff).