Monday, March 31, 2008

24th Anniversary

Today is the 24th anniversary of my marriage to Keith. It's a little over thirty years that we've "been a couple." This morning I got out the photo album and the guest book (later bound with the invitation and cards and stuff in) and considered scanning some to bring here. As I was reading through and looking at the photos I got a little sad. Not about the marriage at all, but about eventual loss of contact with some of our friends. Yet there are people there I've heard from this week, visited last month, got great Christmas letters from, and so we have a lot of continuity, too. I think I'll wait until next year to scan up a review page of 3/31/84, though. I was thinking about why some of those friendships slid. In several cases, it was because of childlessness of those friends. They weren't so interested in us once we had Kirby, and it only got worse as we had more kids, but we found new friends, with children, and I still know lots of those I've known for all those years. And so maybe the defining element of our marriage has little to do with our wedding day and a whole lot to do with this guy:
I could write more, but I've been writing about The Adventures of Kirby ever since then, and those stories are easily found. 120 Kirby references [There were 120 on my website in 2008, but by 2021, with the addition of the archives of older unschooing discussions, there will be many more.]
I came back at 10:20. I guess a little then&now won't hurt. Here:
    Keith and Sandra Dodd March 1984 and March 2008

10 comments:

Erica said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

kelli said...

What a sweet picture.. awwww..

and Happy Anniversary :)

Robin B. said...

Happy Anniversary! And many more...

Anonymous said...

I still have my original copy of that Christmas card. Glad that I've stayed friends with you *and* Keith, and your kids, over all the years! Happy Anniversary - Lori

Cap'n Franko said...

Happy anniversary and many happy returns of the day!

Sandra Dodd said...

Thanks for the kind wishes, all. We have been to dinner, and Keith's been feeling a little ill for the past few days so he's lying down and I'm doing laundry. That's romance!

Lori who wrote she had the card was also at the wedding!

Mary Ann said...

Happy anniversary! I'm not sure which picture of the two of you I like better!

Happy Campers said...

Happy Anniverssary~
What fun pictures posted too :) Thanks for always sharing your stories!

Christa said...

A very happy anniversary to you. Very loving photos.

Robyn Coburn Writer/Artist said...

What a beautiful wedding photo. Thank you for posting it. You looked just radiant then, and you still have that happiness glowing from you. Congratulations. I hope Keith is feeling better.