Thursday, August 14, 2008

Quirky Meme

Mention six quirky yet boring, unspectacular details about yourself. Tag six other bloggers by linking to them. Go to each person's blog and leave a comment that lets them know they've been tagged. If you participate, let the person who tagged you know you've posted your quirks!


Ronnie did not tag me, but I lifted it from her blog anyway.

1) Hardly anything about me is boring.
2) I'm modest.

I guess I'd better go to eight due to my damning start.

6) I can't be in the room with someone using nail clippers. Probably not in the next room either. The sound does to me what I believe squeaking chalk on a chalkboard does to some people. My nervous system has little convulsions starting from somewhere around my neck and traveling in little waves down my arms and legs. It's horrible. But I can clip my own nails without that happening, especially if I've soaking them in a shower or tub first.

5) I invented "popcorn inoculation" and I use it. Half an hour before leaving for a movie, I try to make microwave popcorn and eat enough that when I get to the theater the smell of popcorn won't make me want any. It has saved me a ton of money and made my life much happier.

4) I like to read myself to sleep with unimportant fluff, so that if I fall asleep I don't miss anything important, so I read People and Entertainment Weekly sometimes at bedtime, or if I wake up and am having a hard time getting back to sleep. When something's really good (like the essays by Diablo Cody or Stephen King), I'll read it whole the next morning.

3) I love to hear stories about other people's childhood experiences with religion and about when they first started seeing adults as everyday people.

2) When Keith's not home, I completely close the closet doors in our room, and that protects me from spookiness at night.

1) Because I have very bad number memory and very zippy thoughts, when I'm cooking and measuring or doing something else that involves counting, I count backwards. Then I don't lose count. Like if a recipe needs four cups of flour, I start with four and go to one. Otherwise I might have to dump it back in and start again. Seriously. And though it doesn't apply to things in writing, I went backwards on this so I would remember to include the counting backwards trick.



I don't like to tag people on these kinds of chain things, so I don't. (So if you come here and it seems fun, feel free to pick it up and take it on out. Tag or not as is your preference. I'd like to know you did so I can read yours, though, so leave a note.)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I also have a bad number memory and an off-task mind. When I am measuring the 4 cups of flour, I count them out loud. My family knows to listen in case I ask what number I just said. (Their dessert might depend on it!)

Alyse said...

I lifted this meme for my blog. I probably won't tag anyone either, but I had fun thinking about this.

Just Me said...

the nail clipper thing bothers me, too, but it's more a question of where those disgusting nail pieces end up than the noise...i have a friend who plays guitar and is constantly whipping out the clippers attached to his keychain...i always check my food if he does it while we're eating...thanks for posting this, i enjoyed reading some details about your personality since I've devoured almost all your books!

Elisha said...

I posted this on my blog. And since you said you like hearing these kinds of things, I'm 23 and still just starting to see adults as everyday people, since I barely feel like an adult myself yet!

Jessica said...

LOL I have trouble keeping track of counting for recipes, too... I'll try your techique of counting backwards *&* stephanie's for counting out loud & see if that helps.

A few weeks ago, I ended up with too much baking powder in a carrot cake..ick!

Anet said...

Brilliant idea of counting backwards! And the popcorn trick is awesome. I sneak in candy in my purse from the store!!! hehehe!!!

Sandra Dodd said...

Counting backwards seems to be in a whole different part of my brain. If I'm measuring cups of flour or whatever and I count forward I keep wondering if I was counting when I filled the cup or when I dumped it, but somehow going backwards it's just solid and obvious.